You’re not alone in asking how often should I be feeding my dog? Most experts have reached the opinion that it’s best to feed your dog twice per day. The benefits of feeding a dog more than one meal per day are the reduced strain on their stomach as well as the advantage of breaking up their day to include two super-exciting feeding events.
So, there are both health and behavioural advantages to feeding a dog twice per day.
If you’re currently weighing up the question of how often to feed your dog, you need to factor essential issues such as their age, weight, activity levels and breed.
Generally speaking, puppies need frequent feeding, senior dogs benefit from smaller, more regular meals and adult dogs thrive on specific feeding routines.
What the experts say on how often you should be feeding your dog
Expert Tips on How Often To Feed Your Dog
How often should I feed my small dog?
- Naturally, smaller dogs need less food than larger ones, but what exactly is the perfect number? First, it’s important to have an accurate handle on how much your dog weighs and whether their body size is considered small, medium, or large.
How often should I feed my puppy?
- Young pups and senior dogs have very different needs – puppies need food for their growing bodies while adult dogs’ diets should be focused on maintaining their health.
Does free feeding dogs lead to weight gain?
- For dogs that always have access to their food, there is a better chance of them eating more than they need, which can lead to problems as they get older, such as excessive weight gain or health issues like heart disease or diabetes.
- For dogs who love to scarf down their food, the PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Programmable Pet Feeder has a slow release function, which dispense each meal over a 15-minute period.
- Some people want to feed their dogs once per day, but small dogs can usually only take in a small amount of food in one sitting.
- Puppies have small stomachs and unique nutritional needs that make it necessary to feed them a small amount of food more often than you’d feed an adult dog.
Feed regularity and the importance of routine dog feeding times
- Since dogs enjoy routine, it’s important to keep track of the times you feed your dog and become diligent about keeping the same feeding times.
- A healthy feeding schedule and diet will ensure your pup is getting all of the proper nutrients they need from their food.
- Be sure to decrease the amount of food you are giving him at each meal to compensate for one extra meal if you are switching from one meal per day to two.
Bonus tips on dog feeding frequency
- A regular feeding schedule helps with house training puppies, as well as adult rescue dogs who have not been taught household manners.
- Since puppies are growing rapidly, they need more food than adult dogs.
- It is also not ideal to feed your dog cat food as, since it is designed for cats, it doesn’t have the right balance of vitamins and minerals for dogs.
- Dogs that gulp their food down too quickly tend to take in large amounts of air whilst eating which can cause stomach and digestive system upset.
- To determine how much food to feed your dog, you should start by knowing your dog’s estimated adult weight.
- How should I determine what to feed my dog? Choose high-quality food as poor quality foods produce more waste, can cause digestive problems and often end up being more expensive (because to satisfy your dog you will need to feed him comparatively more).
- Does the amount to be fed in the feeding guidelines pertain to each meal or the daily amount? How accurate are the feeding guidelines on my dog food label? The manufacturers’ recommended feeding guidelines are rarely accurate and should only be used as a rough starting point.
- Not all dogs can or need to eat the amount recommended by the food manufacturers.
- Too little food each day can cause them to be deficient in vital nutrients that help keep dogs healthy.
- Even though puppies grow quickly, it’s important to keep caloric intake and food amount consistent from four to twelve months of age.
- If you are using a commercial dog food, feed your dog the amount printed on the bag that fits with their ideal weight, age and lifestyle.
- “For dogs who have accidents in the house, or who fluctuate in weight , a stricter dog feeding schedule may be ideal,”
Video: How many times per day should my dog be fed?
Expert Sources on How Often To Feed Your Dog
|Dog Feeding Time: How Much and How Often?||WebMD|
|Feeding Your Dog: How Often Should Dogs Eat And How Much?||American Kennel Club|
|How Often Should You Feed Your Dog?||Petfinder|
|How Often Should I Feed My Dog? – Pet Life Today||Pet Life Today|
|10 FAQ’s about dog feeding guidelines | Dry Dog Food | Dog Food |
|How Often Should You Feed A Dog?||Pet Central by Chewy|
|How Much To Feed Your Dog | Prudent Pet Insurance||Prudent Pet Insurance|
|Feeding Times and Frequency for Your Dog | VCA Animal Hospital||vca_corporate|
|How Often Should You Feed Your Dog? – Dogtopia||Dogtopia|
|How Often Should I Feed My Dog? | Purina||Purina|
Get Our BEST Dog Nutrition AdviceEnter your email & never miss out on the latest, most important dog feeding advice & tips: